Friday, September 21, 2012

Days 16, 17, 18: Happy Thursday

Holy shit, ya'll! I got things to write about today!

Last night, I did the NOLA Social Ride's Happy Thursday. 30 something people riding their bikes around for three hours of drinking, laughing around the CBD and French Quarter. Did I mention the guy leading the ride was wearing fake dreadlocks and blaring reggae music?


I found the group on Meet-Up and met them at 12 Fulton (the Yelp review says it's closed down but I was there last night and while it wasn't bumping, it wasn't closed). 

 
I'm going to need a bigger backpack

Stop 1
This is under the bridge to the West Bank, or as I formerly knew it, the Bridge to Target.

Stop 2
Armstrong Park

So that's the good stuff. Now on to the bad.

This place is a food desert. In my neighborhood, there's the Food Co-Op but this is not an affordable or day to day grocery option. There's convenience stores. There's places to order from on every corner, but not a lot of options if you want a box of Rice Krispies and a bag of frozen chicken strips.

Don't judge, I'm a single woman on a budget.

So, exploring one option was to go to drive to Rouse's (there's one in the Quarter, but it overwhelms me with its tiny aisles), which is the local grocery chain. Might as well go to Whole Foods, prices are the same. Though I'm not sure Whole Foods can compete on alcoholic whipped cream options.


On the docket for tonight, Rising Tide 2012 Opening Night Party and BBQ with Social Ride folks (also former New York Expats). And yes, I'm biking there.

No comments:

Post a Comment