Sunday, September 23, 2012

Days 19 & 20: Iced Irish Coffee

I went out on Friday night. First to the opening night party of the blogger conference. I got the start time wrong so I had a drink over at Irish House, which reminded me way too much of every generic Irish pub in Midtown. But it had Iced Irish Coffee, which was delicious (and "oh my god you're crazy expensive, even by New York City standards").


The party was interesting. People are very keen to smile and say hi to the woman they don't recognize in the corner, trying to look interested in the art on the wall rather then awkwardly bury herself in her phone.

It was worth going though, the band was outstanding.

And like every good blogger party, a food truck was present to serve the masses pan-Latino cuisine. 

I stayed for a hour or so and then met up with some folk from the Social Bike Ride, all of which are from New York City original (2 Queens kids and a Long Islander). This did not lead to the productive Saturday that I intended. 

It did lead to me riding over to Gene's for a hot sausage po boy with cheese and then over to Louis Armstrong Park for a picnic for one.


Yes, part of this sandwich is cut off by the Instagram filter. Thing was a greasy mess but delicious. Reminded me of the 3 dollar sandwiches we used to get at El Mercado on the south side of Hartford. There was no ennui, anger, hang-over, longing, exhaustion, or quarter-life crisis those sandwiches couldn't cure

The view from my on-again, off-again park nap

Back in May, when I was thinking about what I could and could not live without of my New York rituals, dim sum brunch was a big one. Let me not play, food was a lot of the items but once I got back from my trip I realized living by myself for an affordable price and not doing a Queens to Manhattan commute were more important. But back to the dim sum. So, I voiced my concern to Dr. Anna who assured me that I would be able to find my Asian fix here. We did a little research and dug up Dim Sum and Then Some, conveniently located in The Joint, as a random Sunday pop-up shop.


This Sunday, it popped up and I met up with some friends in the neighborhood. The pig ear salad was great but the pork buns were lacking. They weren't bad but they weren't right, just stewed pulled pork in a biscuity encasement. Definitely erred on the side of pork buns for generic white people. 

The search will continue.  



No comments:

Post a Comment