Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 25: The Maybe Date

So, a boy invited me to go see a brass band show uptown. We were going to bike but the weather report said it was going to pour all night. Instead, I drove and wore a pretty dress.

Thank you, Weatherman for saving me from a sweaty evening.

I met him at Avenue Pub, which was the first place I went to when I arrived in New Orleans the first time. It was there where I experienced the greasy splendor of "Dumptruck Fries". Combine that with a huge beer menu, beautiful balcony seating, and a chill backyard and this place is easily in my Top 5 Bars of All Time.

We were only a little late for the show

The show was at Loyola University and was the second day of their NOLALoyola 2012 festival. While the auditorium was lovely, there was a weird tension between patrons who wanted to be wild (i.e., dance and chat) and those who were better suited in an opera hall somewhere. Our little twosome got our fair share of dirty looks so we moved over to the aisles with all the other weirdos who had the need to shake their tailfeathers.

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Afterwards, we went to a crappy-ass college bar, Madigan's, who's saving grace was $2.50 beers. But apparently, that's a thing around here if you're willing to drink at a Budweiser level. I don't know if it's the constant heat, being back in the South, or the lack of an income flow, but after however many years of strict beer snobbery, I am more then willing.     

1 comment:

  1. it's true. sometimes snobby beers are too "cultured" (or something) to really be refreshing in hot weather. when that happens, i sometimes go for the asian beers. sapporo is like a japanese bud.

    ReplyDelete