Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 28: I See White People


Didn’t leave my couch much today, so I decided to hit up a yoga class. Typically, I go to the Power Hour noon class with Dr. Anna, but an extra beginner’s class in the week can’t hurt. The studio is right across the French Quarter from where I live and as I have learned over and over again, it does not pay to drive over. The rain had stopped, the air was cool, and the ride over was uneventful. Halfway through my 4th or 5th Sun Salutation, the sun disappeared and the skies opened up with rain so loud it was almost deafening. By the time class was over, it was still coming down but substantially lighter so while the ride home was wet, it wasn’t impossible. I considered it my shower and returned to my Law & Order marathon.

Around 9:45ish, I got a text message from Maybe Date (that is what I’ve taken to calling him as the need to nickname everyone is a fun and annoying hold over from my era of fervent “Sex and the City” fandom). He invited me (and our mutual friend/hangout safety blanket) out for a funk show that started at 11 at the Maple Leaf in super-up Uptown. Dry from my nature shower, I threw on something presentable and hauled myself up there.

He was there with a good friend from childhood and good friend’s girlfriend, in town to celebrate her 30th birthday. They clearly had been drinking for a few hours before I even got there. So that was awkward since I was baseline sober but more awkward then that was how much I didn’t not enjoy the music, especially compared to the company I was keeping. Now this may show off my lack of musical education but when I think of “funk”, I think of Parliament and hips popping/booties rocking. I think of thick bass and deep horns. This band reminded me of a highly trained hotel/wedding band and the crowd was rhythm-less on the outside and dead on the inside. I was not amused and unfortunately, when I’m not amused it shows, which makes it harder for me to amuse myself and so on.

Can’t expect perfection every time I leave the house and at least it helped me space out some Jerry Orbach good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment