Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 38: Food Desert

Mardi Gras Zone - Hipster Super Market and Mardi Gras Supply Shop

New Orleans runs on food & booze. Within a two block radius from my house, there are 7 bars/restaurants, 1 convenience store (that also functions as one of the bar/restaurants), and the above referenced sort of grocery store. If I go four more blocks over, there's the New Orleans Food Co-op. The farmer's market by my house is tiny and priced accordingly. None of these options are cheap food shopping options. For that, I have to get in my car and drive to one of three Rouse's, which is one mini-step in affordability below Whole Foods. I long heavily for Trader Joe's, Super Stop & Shop, the Greenmarkets in Jackson Heights and the Lower East Side, Han Mart, Pacific Supermarket, etc. 

Schiro's - Convenience/Liquor Store, Indian Restaurant, Bar, Laundry Mat

One of the reasons I moved here for was a cheaper way of life, which it is in some areas. My $750 a month in rent for a one bedroom in a "hip" neighborhood would never happen in NYC. My electricity bill is lower than my former share (though I can't split internet so it's a trade-off). Going-out tabs are lower overall, though since I am unemployed I am not living the same lifestyle I was once, so that variable is up for debate. The ability to bike to most destinations has kept me from filling my gas tank since I arrived. But since I'm not going to work everyday, and therefore not factoring in those costs, the overall savings of this relocation is still hard to calculate. A full analysis will have to wait for when I have the money to actually fiscally explore my options.

Bloody Mary and Late Afternoon Snack ($5)

No comments:

Post a Comment