Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 48: I Feel Like Funkn' It Up

Today was a full examination of the Second Line phenomenon from start to finish.

Met up with my friend, Brian, at St. Augustine Church, which was official start line.

 The unofficial starting line was really at the Backstreet Cultural Museum

"Ya Ya"

Band #3

The route went through Tremé, around Armstrong Park into Central City into the Upper Ninth and back over four hours.

The bands crescendo under the overpasses, where the acoustics lend themselves to a sonic explosion, which then compels the dancers to compete.

I decided this guy was my imaginary boyfriend of the day

Love a man who will get down and dirty 'cause the spirit moves him

Band #2 - They were my favorite

A take on a classic photo

Get it!

She's still learning, but she's going to get there

Dancing Shoes

These women should get a merit badge or something to mark their triumph of doing the whole route in heels. The one on the left who was limping a little bit (but not as much as you would have thought) told me it was because of the platform so they were “high but not that high”. I was in Nike sneakers and my puppies were whimpering. I think she just doesn’t know she’s a super hero yet.

The stamina to keep up in the fun is impressive, never mind in a suit

Storefront Social Services

Back at the beginning

The parade ended where it began, culminating in a block party (not pictured: the giant smoker and BBQ trailer and guys with coolers full of beer reasonably priced for sale).

Brian got up on a truck to snap this one

We capped it off with a slice from Pizza Delicious, whose claim of being the closest thing to New York pizza that isn’t in New York is totally supported. Most of the people I have been hanging out with since I got here are from New York (Brian is from Long Island, so I’ll give him a pass). The crust was thisclose to perfect, thrown off by the damn soft water around here, but the cheese-pepperoni balance needs some further study.

I got sunburned, mildly tipsy, and worn out from sashaying for four hours. Luckily, we were a 10 minute bike ride from my house and most importantly, a 10 minute bike ride from Lost Love’s Bloody Mary that is becoming my post Sunday physical adventure tradition.







No comments:

Post a Comment