Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 30: Competitions

I went out to watch the debates at Mimi's, which is locked in a battle in my heart for my local with Lost Love. I chose Mimi's because of the food. I was in the mood for something I don't normally eat and on their menu is "Trust Me", which is the tapas version of an omakase serving or bespoke cocktail.

I ended up with this:
Goat cheese rubbed cauliflower with sprouts and cherry tomatos, homemade pork crackling and homemade sriracha. It was actually more delicious then it looks, with each subtle flavor getting its own moment on my tongue.

Price?

$8.

Yes, I said $8

Prior to the debate, I enjoyed a Sazerac and the Gambit (the NOLA version of the Voice). There is a lot of talk in this town right now about the merging talent of the Hornets. Half of their top players made regular appearances in my fantasy line-ups last year, albeit on different teams. I'm happy to have them remove Orlando from my B team slot (with the unceremonious departure of Stan Van Gundy, I don't feel any loyalty to a team that had no loyalty to a very gifted member of one of my favorite families). Nevermind the fact the Hornets are playing the Knicks in town ON MY BIRTHDAY. Sign from God, really.

I have been warned that this is not really a basketball town, so much as it is crazed with football. I remember living amongst the football obsessives in Florida (even tried to date one once, total mistake) and it's typically a detenté relationship, plus or minus some dust-ups over bar TV rights in November.

However, it wasn't until I read this until I realized how bad the lack of basketball in this town really was. This article was 4 pages of fluff and Anthony Davis/Eric Gordon worship. It touched on some of the bigger issues surrounding rebranding of the team to shake off the Charlotte curse and how this young team was doing a great job at engaging an emerging fan base through Twitter and Instagram. It name checked Carl Landry and Trevor Azia. But not Ryan Anderson. I even reread it to see if I missed anything. Sigh, like it's not hard enough to be a single, crazy, and female basketball fan. Now I have to be a single, crazy, and female basketball fan all alone.






No comments:

Post a Comment