Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 47: Who's Counting?


So the film festival is over and consulting starts next week. While the project I'm going to be working on is really interesting to me, it isn't exactly "skills building", rather using what I already know how to do (pretty well, if I do say so myself) and applying it into a new environment. Since building out my elven bag of holding when it comes to youth/workforce development and non-profit management was a large part of the reason I moved here, I investigated alternative avenues. Enter Plan B, for whom I offered to do some pro bono capacity building consulting work (and maybe learn how to change out a flat tire). The picture above is part of their incredible storage space. I have total facilities envy.

PoBoy Picnic

Plan B is right next to Gene's and down the street from Armstrong Park, so you know there had to be a PoBoy Picnic. I don't know how accurately this picture reflects how large that sandwich is but it's so large I couldn't smuggle it past park security (there was no outside food or drink because of the gospel festival). luckily, the security guard told me to go through a different entrance 15 feet away so I could still get a stretch of grass under a tree and in earshot of the incredible music happening.

There are ducks

On my home to do some very needed laundry, I ran into my very first true second line hosted by the Black Men of Labor. It started with a SUV throwing beads and candy and quickly I was enveloped in this.

I ran into one of the film festival folk and went along with her and her friends for a hour or so. She had just moved here a few months ago and one of the other guys had moved here a couple weeks before I did. We started to talk about adjusting and leaving everything behind for reasons unspecified (like the difference between moving for a job and just plain moving). He is struggling like I am but when he asked my film fest buddy if she felt like home here and she gave him a resounding "Yes!", I felt comforted and significantly less alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment