Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 34: Lost

I had the best intentions. I was going to go to bed early since I wanted to leave early for BikeEasy's Bike Second Line and I knew I was going to get lost somewhere in the 4.3 mile trip. 

Then a random marching band played down my street at 1am. Then I got a drunk dial from a friend in NYC and we talked until my cell phone battery died.

Combine with a proclivity for staying up and sleeping in late and I was struggling this morning.  

I woke up a half hour late, which means I hit Cake Cafe late and chose the line for lox spread over timeliness. Things don't tend to start on time here, so I thought I would be fine. 

"Lost" isn't even the word. I headed up through the Upper Ninth Ward and didn't stay on the road I was supposed to be on because it was bridge over train tracks and my new girl brain decided it was an entrance to the interstate. The sidewalks on either side did not sway this belief.

Luckily, a man working on his yard outside cleared it up for me.

"You going to the [Gentilly Festival]?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good job."

I made it to Poncharain Park 45 minutes late and the group had already left without me. One of the volunteers gave me a bike map and directions to Daddy's Donuts (the midway point).

Got lost again, but figured it out and joined the group for the last half. 

And there was King Cake

I know people put money on me with a tuba player but I'm thinking more along the lines of trumpet

The way home was a lot quicker, which was mandatory since I had to be at volunteer orientation for the New Orleans Film Festival by 1pm in the CBD. I did stop at my house to use the facilities and wipe the sweat, grease, and late morning dew off my face. 

This was in front of my house and Spike Lee tweeted about filming in town this week
Coincidence?

Now, I'm sitting here at Sound Cafe, enjoying a delicious frappĂ©, created by one of the sweetest baristas of all time. This place is definitely winning the "Coffee Shops I Can Walk/Bike To And Then Sit In Forever" competition. 

Hipsterific

I think my titular capitalization sense is off as a result of biking 22.73 miles this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment